Verbal agreement with NP-internal modifiers

Thomas E. Payne tpayne at UOREGON.EDU
Sat Aug 23 15:09:41 UTC 2014

This is a (perhaps naïve) question I have about many of the examples cited in this discussion. How do you know the relevant verb marking is really “agreeing with”/“cross-referencing” an NP internal element, or whether it just happens to be coreferential with it?

I’m thinking of English adversative constructions like: “My car died on me,”  in which “me” just happens to be coreferential with the possessor of the subject. One can also say “My car died on her” if, e.g., someone else were driving the car. Or “Her car died on me,” etc. While the coreferential examples may be more common, the others are possible. This is similar to “ethical dative” or “dative of interest” constructions. If one were to propose a “verb agreement with NP-internal possessor of subject” construction, it would be important to show that it is not this type.

Tom