Verbal agreement with NP-internal modifiers

Rachel Nordlinger racheln at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sun Aug 24 00:12:19 UTC 2014

Dear Denis,

That’s interesting – I hadn’t though about the Romance constructions that you mention in this context, but you are right to point them out as being related since the clause-level clitic (e.g. ‘en’) is clearly representing the PP [de cette voiture] embedded within the complement NP.  The difference with the Gurindji example, however, is that the cross-referenced element remains morphosyntactially encoded as as NP modifier while at the same time being agreed with by the clause-level clitic.

Thanks for the response!

Rachel

--
A/Prof Rachel Nordlinger
Associate Professor and Reader
Research Unit for Indigenous Language
School of Languages and Linguistics
University of Melbourne
VIC 3010
http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/academic-staff/rachel-nordlinger

From: Denis Creissels <Denis.Creissels at univ-lyon2.fr<mailto:Denis.Creissels at univ-lyon2.fr>>
Date: Saturday, 23 August 2014 3:12 pm
To: Rachel Nordlinger <racheln at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:racheln at unimelb.edu.au>>
Cc: "LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG<mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>" <LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG<mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>>
Subject: RE: Verbal agreement with NP-internal modifiers

Dear Rachel,

I am not sure whether this is exactly the kind of thing you are looking for, since no obligatory agreement is involved, but several Romance languages have a pronominal clitic (French en, Italian ne) that attaches to verbs and is able to represent (among others) a genitival modifier included in a complement NP (object or complement of the copula):

Qui est le propriétaire de cette voiture? ‘Who is the owner of this car?’
-> Qui   en-est   le propriétaire? ‘Who is its owner?
    who  of_it-is  the owner

(Italian: Chi ne-è proprietario?)

Best regards,
Denis