[Lingtyp] main/subordinate ergative case splits

Peter Arkadiev peterarkadiev at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 19 11:57:33 UTC 2014

Dear typologists,

is anybody aware of languages with the following kind of split case marking:
1) in both main and dependent clauses case marking alignment is ergative;
2) however, different cases are used in main vs. dependent clauses to mark the A argument.

There are such instances in languages with accusative alignment, e.g. the Latin ablative absolute or similar constructions in other Indo-European languages, schematically:

main: S+A(NOM), P(ACC)
dependent: S+A(ABL), P(ACC)

What I am looking for are systems with the following split:

main: S+P(ABS), A(CASE1)
dependent: S+P(ABS or whatewher, e.g. possessive), A(CASE2)

I would be very grateful for examples and references.

Best regards,

Peter

--
Peter Arkadiev, PhD