[Lingtyp] Open Postdoctoral Fellowship

Antti Arppe arppe at ualberta.ca
Tue Dec 30 07:49:49 UTC 2014

Department of Linguistics
Faculty of Arts
University of Alberta, Canada

Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Alberta invites applications
for a full-time Postdoctoral Fellowship, beginning in early 2015, within the
research project 21st Century Tools for Indigenous Languages, funded by a
Partnership Development Grant from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research
Council (SSHRC). The start date is negotiable, and the appointment is tenable
for two years, subject to a review after the first year.

This research project is associated with several laboratories and institutes
within the Department of Linguistics and is led by Dr. Antti Arppe (Alberta
Language Technology Laboratory: ALTLAB), Dr. Jordan Lachler (Canadian Indigenous
Languages and Literacy Development Institute: CILLDI), Dr. Juhani Järvikivi
(Centre for Comparative Psycholinguistics: CCP), and Dr. Timothy Mills (ALTLab,
Alberta Phonetics Laboratory: APhL). Furthermore, we are collaborating within
Canada with the Cree Literacy Network and internationally with the Giellatekno
and Divvun research and development teams in University of Tromsø, Norway.

Currently, we are developing computational models of the phonetics, morphology
and lexis of Plains Cree, with the goal of creating software applications that
support the continued use of the language in daily life by both speakers and
learners.  These include an intelligent electronic dictionary, a spell-checker,
computer-aided language learning and practice tools, a word form analyzer and
generator, as well as a text-to-speech synthesizer.  We have also embarked on
initial similar work with other American Indigenous languages, such as Northern
Haida, that our collaborators have expertise in. Further details of our project
can be found at: http://altlab.artsrn.ualberta.ca

The tasks of the Postdoctoral Fellow will include the following, allowing for
variation based on the the successful applicant’s background, competences and
research interests:

1. participation in, or responsibility for, the continued development of Plains
Cree computational morphological and phonetic models and applications based on
community feedback;
2. participation in, or responsibility for, the basic development of
computational morphological and phonetic models and prototype applications for
an Indigenous language other than Plains Cree, ideally one spoken in Canada;
3. partial training and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students
(M.A/Ph.D level) in developing basic model and prototype applications for an
Indigenous language other than Plains Cree;
4. engagement with Indigenous community consultants on collecting primary
linguistic data and gathering feedback from field-testers; and
5. other administrative responsibilities

By the end of the Postdoctoral appointment, the successful applicant will have a
set of skills that will allow them to partner with Indigenous communities and
field linguists to develop a range of sophisticated tools in support of language
maintenance and revitalization.

Successful applicants may have either (a) specialized in the documentation and
study of one or more Indigenous American languages, and have a familiarity with
(or willingness to learn) computational modeling, or have (b) specialized in the
computational modelling (text and/or speech) of morphologically rich languages,
and have a familiarity with (or willingness to learn) the essential
morphological and phonetic characteristics of the languages our project is
working with.

The fellowship comes with a salary of $34,500-$38,000 (CAD) per annum plus
benefits. The salary will be commensurate with experience of the candidate and
will follow University of Alberta policies
(http://www.postdoc.ualberta.ca/PostdocPolicies.aspx).

Applicants should have recently completed (no more than five years before the
beginning of their appointment), or be in final stages of finishing their Ph.D
degree (so that the Ph.D degree will be entirely completed upon the beginning of
their appointment).

The application should include (1) a research statement/plan (ca. 2 pages)
outlining past experience and current research interests and, in particular, how
these align with and contribute towards the general goals of our SSHRC project,
(2) a Curriculum Vitae (including a List of Publications), and (3) one to three
academic writing samples relevant to our project as well as the research
statement. In addition, (4) Letters of Recommendation should be sent directly
(to Dr. Antti Arppe: arppe at ualberta.ca) by three referees. Applicants are
strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Antti Arppe to discuss their research plan.

Applications and any inquiries  should be sent by electronic mail to Dr. Antti
Arppe (arppe at ualberta.ca). Further, up-to-date information on this position can
be found at: http://altlab.artsrn.ualberta.ca/?page_id=306

Review of applications will begin on January 26, 2015, and will continue until
the position is filled.

The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the
principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage
applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with
disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

Antti Arppe - Ph.D (General Linguistics), M.Sc. (Engineering)
Assistant Professor of Quantitative Linguistics
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta
E-mail: arppe at ualberta.ca, antti.arppe at iki.fi
WWW: http://www.ualberta.ca/~arppe
Maanahtu ina reedûti ihza ummânuuti ihannaq - dulum ugulak úmun ingul