final call: Workshop on Applicatives in Indonesian-Type Languages, Naples, 16.6.2014

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Feb 18 09:05:24 UTC 2014

Final Call for Abstracts
Workshop on Applicatives in "Indonesian-Type" Languages
Procida, Naples, Italy, 16 June 2014

*****

One of the proposed characteristics of "Indonesian-Type" languages is
the presence of an applicative marker, most commonly a suffix, whose
functional load corresponds in large part to that of some of the voice
affixes of "Philippine-Type" languages.

We are currently developing a project in which we propose to examine the
forms, functions and diachronic development of applicative constructions
in Indonesian-Type languages, with a focus on patterns of
micro-variation in varieties of Malayic and Javanese.

As part of the above project, we plan to hold a one-day workshop
involving paper presentations and panel discussions on the topic of
applicatives in Indonesian-Type languages.A majority of the paper slots
will be filled by project participants; however, we would also like to
make a few slots available to other scholars who might be interested in
presenting a paper at the workshop.

Papers should be concerned with "Indonesian-Type" languages, and may
either deal with a single language or adopt a comparative
perspective.Topics may include, but are not limited to ...

• the forms and functions of applicative constructions

• patterns of syncretism involving applicatives and other constructions,
such as causatives, allatives, futures, and so forth

• the diachrony of applicative constructions:etymologies and paths of
grammaticalization

Persons wishing to present a paper at the workshop are invited to submit
a one-page abstract, preferably in pdf format (but MsWord also
acceptable) to David Gil <gil AT eve.mpg.de>

Deadline for submission of abstracts:  1 March 2014.

The Workshop on Applicatives in "Indonesian-Type" languages will be held
immediately following the 18th International Symposium on
Malay/Indonesian Linguistics (ISMIL18), also in Procida, on the 13-15
June 2014Since these are separate events, prospective participants are
welcome to submit different papers to each event.

*****

Coorganizers:
Tom Conners - Center for Advanced Study of Language, University of Maryland
David Gil - Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig
Tim McKinnon - Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Jakarta
Antonia Soriente - Università degli Studi di Napoli "L'Orientale"
Yanti - Universitas Katolik Indonesia Atma Jaya, Jakarta

Inquiries:gil AT eva.mpg.de

Website:http://wwwstaff.eva.mpg.de/~gil/applicatives/index.html

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email:gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/