English Sentence Patterns: Writing to Speech?

TRUDGILL Peter peter.trudgill at UNIFR.CH
Thu Jun 12 12:40:22 UTC 2014

There has been a definite increase in British people saying "June twelfth" for 12/06 rather than the more usual "June the twelfth". This is perhaps not syntax in the way that you want, and may be due to USEng influence, but it could well also be the result of the fact that we have always written <June 12th> in spite of always saying "June the twelfth". So, if Im right, this is at least a phenomenon involving the influence of writing on speech.
Peter