Edge and universalism vs. particularism

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Tue Mar 11 13:05:36 UTC 2014

Yes, Blackburn’s view is well-known, Nigel. None of the defenders of the truth successfully engage Rorty, though John Searle’s work comes close.

And I made my point completely apart from the postmodernist view that Blackburn is responding to. I think postmodernism is silly gobbledegook.  But though this does in a sense trace its roots loosely back to Pragmatism, it is very very different, coming back through the lens of Derrida, Lacan, and the gang.

"Social construction” of knowledge is usually indicative (not always by any means) of postmodernism, which I reject.

But Blackburn’s remarks are orthogonal to the Pragmatist construction in my opinion. Certainly not difficult objections. Misunderstandings on his part mainly.

I want to apologize for hijacking this discussion off of the more relevant, for this group, topic that Frans raised. I do address many of these issues in my forthcoming University of Chicago Press book, Dark Matter of the Mind. And to a lesser degree in my 2016 book, How Language Began, for Liveright (WW Norton) and Profile publishers.

I am happy to refer people to the relevant literature off-line. I would start with Bob Brandom’s Making it Explicit, which is perhaps the best book on language of the last 50 years or so. It is flavored throughout by his particular kind of pragmatism.

Dan