LACITO summer school "Methods in linguistics" [July 2014]

Alex Francois francois at VJF.CNRS.FR
Thu Mar 13 09:25:45 UTC 2014

Dear all,

We are happy to announce the 2014 summer school of CNRS-LACITO,
entitled "*Methods
in linguistics: From empirical data to typological hypotheses*". This
one-week event will take place from *7* *to 12 July 2014* in Roscoff, a
village of Brittany on the Atlantic coast.

The aim of this summer school is to bring together students and scholars
from the field of descriptive and typological linguistics, and reflect
together on the various ways one can analyse firsthand data collected
during fieldwork on a previously undescribed language. Several speakers
with experience in the field will bring linguistic data and show how its
analysis can help rethink certain questions of linguistic typology.

During the week, we will examine problems in phonology, tonology and
prosody; morphosyntax (nominal and verbal phrases, argument structure);
syntax (within and across clauses); semantics (lexical typology, deixis);
historical linguistics;  theory of description and typology.  These
questions of linguistic analysis will be addressed during sixteen 90-minute
sessions, consisting of a presentation by a speaker followed by an
interactive discussion with participants.  Extra sessions will address
questions of archiving and corpus-building methodology. Finally, the last
session will consist in more practical advice for fieldwork, and a
presentation by participants of their plans for carrying out their own
future investigation of language diversity.

Invited scholars include Martin *Haspelmath *(MPI-Leipzig); Denis *Creissels
*(CNRS-DDL-Lyon); Mark *Van de Velde *and Martine *Vanhove *(CNRS-LLACAN);
Alexis *Michaud *(CNRS-MICA); Guillaume *Jacques *(CNRS-CRLAO); Isabelle
*Bril*, Alex *François*, Samia *Naïm *and Christiane *Pilot-Raichoor
*(CNRS-LACITO).

The languages of the Summer school will be French and English, depending on
the preferences of the speech-act participants.

As the number of places is limited, people interested are encouraged to
contact us soon. We welcome both students (graduate/PhD and academics).

For more information, including a detailed program of sessions, notes on
the venue, and fees (covering accommodation and food), see our homepage:
http://lacito.vjf.cnrs.fr/colloque/methodes/index_en.htm

Hope to see you there,
Alex.
_________