[Lingtyp] question about sound alternation/change

Sven Grawunder grawunder at eva.mpg.de
Sat Apr 4 10:46:21 UTC 2015

Dear Eitan,

we checked (for our paper on sound changes in Vilela) with a similar
question the ASJP-database (asjp.clld.org). See specifically the related
paper of Brown, Holman & Wichman 2013 for sound changes:
The t͡ʃ > t sound change ranks at the 3rd place among the top 50 most
frequent changes. c > t would be at rank 7.
Hope this helps,
Sven

Am 04.04.15 um 12:32 schrieb Eitan Grossman:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm interested in the extent to which synchronic alternations or sound
> changes like [c] > [t] are common (or not). The palatal 'input' could
> also be an affricate [t͡ʃ], the important thing being that the result is
> a dental or alveolar [t]-like segment.
>
> If anyone has examples of such a process, whether as a synchronic
> alternation or as a documented or reconstructible sound change, I'd be
> very happy to hear about it, and to post a summary.
>
> Thanks and happy holidays to all!
>
> Eitan
> Eitan Grossman
> Lecturer, Department of Linguistics/School of Language Sciences
> Hebrew University of Jerusalem
> Tel: +972 2 588 3809
> Fax: +972 2 588 1224

Sven Grawunder, Dr. phil.
Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6    | 04103 Leipzig | Germany
tel: +49/341/3550326 | mob: +49/176/24037846
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~grawunde/