[Lingtyp] Call: Pronouns: syntax, semantics, processing, Moscow, June 15-19, 2015

Volkova, A. (Anna) A.Volkova at uu.nl
Fri Feb 6 19:07:31 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to the conference we organize at Higher School of Economics, Moscow in June. Apologies for cross-posting.

Best regards,
Anna Volkova

Pronouns: syntax, semantics, processing (PSSP)
Moscow, Higher School of Economics, June 15–19 2015
 The study of pronouns has been an engine behind the development of many theories in syntax and semantics. Much has been learned about pronouns, and yet the topic continues to be an area of fruitful research. Lively debates on strong and weak pronouns, free and bound variable pronouns, de se and de re pronouns, indexical pronouns and fake indexicals, indefinites, simplex and complex anaphors abound in the current linguistic literature. Many of the questions that we would like to address at our conference are not new, but we believe that addressing them again, perhaps with new theoretical and experimental tools and with new data, could be quite helpful.
 How exactly does syntax constrain the use of pronouns and why are the constraints the way they are? What is the meaning of the features of pronouns? What shapes pronominal systems in the world’s languages? How does the human brain process pronouns and anaphora? How much can we learn from studying pronouns about the laws of grammar and discourse?...
 The discussion of these and related topics will surely benefit from the contribution of our guest speakers who will also teach mini-courses on the syntax, semantics and processing of pronouns.
 We invite submissions from all theoretical and experimental perspectives. Each talk selected for presentation will be allotted 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of discussion. Submissions are limited to one individual and one joint abstract per author.
 Abstracts should be submitted to psspconference at gmail.com<mailto:psspconference at gmail.com>. They should be in PDF format, with all non- standard  fonts embedded. Abstracts should not exceed 2 pages, including data and references (11pt font minimum, single spacing, 1 inch/2.5cm margins on each side). Examples should be interspersed throughout the text. The submission must not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way.

Guest speakers
Barbara Partee, UMass Amherst
Colin Phillips, University of Maryland
Eric Reuland, Utrecht University

Conference dates: June 15–19 2015
Submission deadline: March 1 2015
Notification of acceptance: March 15 2015

Organizing Committee
Natalia Slioussar, Higher School of Economics, Moscow
Anna Volkova, Higher School of Economics, Moscow & Utrecht University
Alexander Podobryaev, Higher School of Economics, Moscow