[Lingtyp] question regarding the use of archives for linguistic research

Lewis Lawyer lclawyer at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 20 19:36:05 UTC 2015

Dear Dorothea,

This seems to be a hot topic these days!  There were two symposia on
archival research at the annual LSA meeting earlier this month:

   1. The Committee for Endangered Languages and their Preservation (CELP)
   hosted a symposium on the use of archives in linguistic research,
   revitalization, and documentation.  The slides and posters are going to be
   available soon on the AILLA website, I hear.  Look for an announcement on
   the CELP website soon:

   http://www.linguisticsociety.org/about/who-we-are/committees/endangered-languages-and-their-preservation-celp
   You can also read the abstracts from the symposium and contact
   information here:
   http://www.linguisticsociety.org/system/files/abstracts/Archives.pdf
   2. Another interesting symposium addressed automated techniques in the
   analysis of audio and video archival material.  The abstracts from that
   symposium are here:

   http://www.linguisticsociety.org/system/files/abstracts/Making%20the%20Most.pdf
   I don't know offhand whether the slides and posters will be hosted
   somewhere, but I hope so!

I myself am doing an in-depth descriptive study of Patwin (Wintuan,
California) using archival materials from a variety of different archives
in the United States, and interfacing also with Indigenous communities.  I
have also been involved with language revitalization for a few other
languages of California, also using archival sources.  I would be happy to
tell you about my project(s) if that interests you---feel free to email me.

Hope it helps!
-Lewis C. Lawyer
lclawyer at ucdavis.edu

PhD Candidate in Linguistics