[Lingtyp] "become" - summary

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Sun Jul 5 03:49:04 UTC 2015

Thanks to all those who responded to my query (reproduced below)
concerning "become":  Winfried Boeder, Natalia Caceres, Bernard Comrie,
Denis Creissels, Östen Dahl, Gréte Dalmi, Michael Daniel, Matthew Dryer,
Bill Foley, Thomas Goldammer, Eitan Grossman, Guillaume Jacques, Lewis
Lawyer, Seongha Rhee, Don Stilo, and Bjorn Wiemer.

Not surprisingly, many languages were offered in which "become" is
identical to or derived from "do"/"make", suggesting that this is a
widespread path of diachronic change.  Languages offered exhibiting this
pattern were Mandinka, Soninke (Niger Congo), Hebrew, French, Russian,
Georgian, Japhug Gyalrong (Sino-Tibetan), Walman (Torricelli), Yimas,
Watam (Lower Sepik-Ramu), Patwin (Penutian), Ye'kwana (Carib), plus also
Sumerian, Akkadian, Coptic and Latin.

For those who are interested: a few words on the motivation behind this
query.  I am trying to unravel ancient contact between Austronesian and
non-Austronesian languages in the Bird's Head of New Guinea.  The
Austronesian language I'm working on, Roon, has the same word for (among
several other functions) "give", "do"/"make" and "become".  The form in
question is clearly inherited from the Austronesian word for "give".
Its generalization to "do"/"make" seems to be under the influence of
non-Austronesian languages in the region, which also exhibit
"give"-"do"/"make" identity, e.g. Meyah and Hatam.  Other
closely-related languages exhibit the same pattern.  But the question is
when, or how far back, did this particular contact-induced
generalization take place?

Some insight into this question can be gained from other nearby
Austronesian languages in which different patterns of macrofunctionality
are observed.  For example, in Ambel, the cognate form means "give" and
"become" but not "do"/"make", while in Kurudu, the cognate form means
"become" but not "give" or "do"/"make".  So where did the "become" words
in Ambel and Kurudu come from?  Well, based on the results of the above
query, and the cross-linguistically widespread development of "become"
from "do"/"give", it seems plausible to posit that the "become" word in
languages such as Ambel and Kurudu came from the cognate "do"/"make",
still present in Roon, but subsequently replaced by another word in
languages such as Ambel and Kurudu.  This, in turn, would entail that
the development of "give"-"do"/"make" identity, due to contact with
non-Austronesian languages, occurred at a relatively early stage in the
spread of Austronesian languages in the region, specifically at the
stage of a hypothetical proto-language descended from
proto-South-Halmahera-West-New-Guinea but ancestral to Roon, Ambel,
Kurudu, and several other languages which have a "become" word
originating in the Austronesian word for "give".

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email:gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/