[Lingtyp] FW: Technology standards in conflict with linguistic standards

Matthias GERNER Matthias.Gerner at cityu.edu.hk
Mon Jul 6 13:14:46 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Latex was created in the 1980s by Knuth, a mathematician, for mathematicians.
It can represent parallel strings of sub- and superscripts, as used in complex mathematical formulas. MS Word cannot represent such expressions.
The effort of learning LaTex is similar to learning a mark-up language (HTML), but significantly less than learning a programming language like Basic, C++.

There are few linguistic publication that would need the expressivity of LaTex.

Regards,
Matthias
Department of Linguistics and Translation City University of Hong Kong
83 Tat Chee Avenue
Kowloon, Hong Kong