[Lingtyp] ALT Editor, Secretary, Treasurer searches

Johanna NICHOLS johanna at berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 21 12:12:24 UTC 2015

Dear Lingtyp readers/ALT members,

This is a preliminary announcement to let everyone know that this fall we
will be searching for new officers to fill the following three important
positions.  The actual calls for nominations and self-nominations will go
out in late summer, but I would like members to begin thinking now about
the best candidates for these positions.  The best candidate may be
yourself!

• Editor of Linguistic Typology.  Frans Plank, who founded the journal and
made it into the first-class journal that it is today, will step down as
Editor at the end of 2016 after Vol. 20.  After his stellar service the
journal is now in a strong position.  We will issue a call for nominations,
including self-nominations, by individuals and/or pairs/teams, and will ask
interested applicants to include a one- or two-page statement about their
vision for the journal and the direction publication in typology should
take for the near and foreseeable future.
     A search committee will be appointed later this summer.

The job of secretary-treasurer has grown over the years and, with
Jean-Christophe stepping down this year after eight years of excellent
service, we will split it into two officer positions beginning in 2016:

• Secretary and conference person.  This officer will act as secretary to
the Executive Committee and President, and will be liaison person with the
conference Program Committee and organizers.

• Treasurer and membership person.  This officer will handle financial
matters and matters having to do with membership.  (Matters of membership,
renewals, billing, etc. were discussed at the 2013 business meeting and
will be discussed again at this year's.)

Here too, calls for nominations and self-nominations will go out in late
summer.

All three officerships will be discussed in the business meeting of the
upcoming ALT Conference in Albuquerque, and I'll be available to discuss
any of them, and any related matters, with members.

May the rest of July go well for all of you, and I look forward to seeing
you in Albuquerque in August!

Johanna Nichols
President, ALT