[Lingtyp] Help us make our game about linguistic diversity more linguistically diverse

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Mon May 25 08:48:49 UTC 2015

Dear LINGTYP,

My name is Hedvig Skirgård and I'm a PhD student of linguistics at ANU in
Canberra. I'm involved in creating a game about linguistic diversity within
the Language In Interaction-consortium.
<https://www.languageininteraction.nl/apps.html>We'd like to make this game
available in as many languages as possible,  if you'd like you can help us
doing that by translating a few phrases into a language that you master. You
can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AUc8r98DSPqsS83AcCAu7RXaiqOZAkTFPRvZybmzykY/viewform?usp=send_form>
.

The game is called "LingQuest". You listen to several recordings of people
talking and have to match the ones who are speaking the same language. It’s
quite similar to the Great Language Game
<http://www.replicatedtypo.com/the-great-language-game-confusing-languages/7926.html>
by
Lars Yencken, but we’re also using many lesser-known languages from the
DOBES <http://dobes.mpi.nl/> archive.

Here’s a screenshot of the App in development:

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZRnHzRXwEpE/VWLWZzCeBQI/AAAAAAAADv4/G7zpZD9Hg9A/s1600/Drag2_demo.png>

We'd like for as many people as possible to be able to play the game,
irrespective of if they know English or not. A lot of information today is
primarily available in English, it's the working language of most
conferences, publications and blogs of linguistics - also those on
linguistic diversity. This is understandable since we'd like to make the
scientific debate open to as many as possible and English is the most
widely spoken language in all parts of Academia (with French, German and a
few other languages dominating certain areas). (If you're interested in how
many languages linguists speak, see this post here
<http://humanswhoreadgrammars.tumblr.com/post/65202746036/how-many-languages-do-linguists-speak>
.)

However, it is not necessary that our game and other experiments in
linguistics are restricted in this way (nor the linguistic olympiad
<http://humans-who-read-grammars.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/linguistic-olympiad-problems-up-on.html>).
This is why we're working on being able to provide our game in many
different languages, and for that we'd like to ask for your help! Could you
help us translate a few phrases into a language that you know so that the
game can be played by people who know that language?
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AUc8r98DSPqsS83AcCAu7RXaiqOZAkTFPRvZybmzykY/viewform?usp=send_form>
We've
tried to cut down on the number of phrases needed for the game to work, so
hopefully this shouldn't take up much time. We'd be very thankful for your
help. Of course we'd prefer it if you translate to languages you are very
fluent in, preferably your native language(s). You can indicate your skill
level in the form.

Again: thanks,

Hedvig

p.s. If you want to spread this piece of information on social media or
blogs, you can use this blog post:
http://humans-who-read-grammars.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/help-us-make-our-game-on-linguistic.html