[Lingtyp] Ethnologue goes for paid access?

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:33:29 UTC 2016

It's less the private and business part that bothers me if I am to be
frank, and more the way production and distribution of research is handled.
There's already a move in the "regular" academic world, in particular in
description and documentation, towards open access. Surely it's unfortunate
that SIL at this time chooses to become more closed?

It's quite natural that the linguist community that consumes and had
benefitted from SIL International's work now needs to ask itself if this is
really the best way to manage what is after all one of the most cited
catalogues and standards of our field.

Btw, maybe it needs to be reiterated that Ethnologue estimates that this
pay-wall only effects 5% of its users.

/Hedvig

*Hedvig Skirgård*
PhD Candidate
The Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific

Rm 4203, H.C. Coombs Building (#9)
The Australian National University