[Lingtyp] Why would SIL charge money for Ethnologue; future of Ethnologue

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 10:10:13 UTC 2016

Thanks Sebastian, I agree with these points. (And with Bill's points
earlier.)

Sorry to repeat myself, but: Steve Moitozo said on twitter that only 5% of
users will be affected by this pay wall. I struggle to see how they will
make enough money on us 5%, especially since we can get many of the same
functions elsewhere.

I have yet to learn why SIL International does not receive much "regular"
academic funding.

/Hedvig

*Hedvig Skirgård*
PhD Candidate
The Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific

Rm 4203, H.C. Coombs Building (#9)
The Australian National University