[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Tue Jan 19 09:25:48 UTC 2016

Martin Haspelmath has written (Jan.18.): “I find it important to recognize that typology works with a heterogeneous class of comparative concepts, which may be defined in a variety of ways (formally, functionally, with respect to discourse, with respect to translation equivalence, etc.). Typology does not (necessarily) work in terms of the descriptive categories that are the most useful in analyzing languages, and it need not define its concepts in a uniform way.”
I agree. All the subsequent interventions in the discussion seem to ignore the concepts of ‘prototype’ and ‘tertium comparationis’. As I tried to argue in my 1999 article on  Linguistic categories and linguists’ categorizations. “Linguistics” 37: 157-80, there are semantic/functional concepts which are universal (e.g. ‘attribution of a quality to an X’ : you may call it “ADJ”). These concepts (‘tertia comparationis’) may be implemented in different languages via different strategies (e.g. via a relative clause) and it is by no means said that the category ADJ is present in language A or B [see Rijkhoff’s ex. from Ross :
Kiribati (Ross 1998: 90)

(1) te      uee      ae    e          tikiraoi         (relative clause)

     art  flower  rel  3sg.s   be.pretty

     ‘a pretty flower’ (lit. ‘a flower that pretties’)   ]

On its turn a prototypical ADJ will be formally defined by a series of properties (‘features’ having different values), like +/- agreement with its head, Consequently, there are forms which are more or less adjectival, according to the grammars of  individual languages.