[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jan 20 09:05:46 UTC 2016

On 19.01.16 20:58, Peter Arkadiev wrote:
> if, as Matthew says, "classifying a language as SVO makes no claim about the categories in the language, nor that these categories determine word order even if the language has such categories", what's the point of classifying the given language as SVO in the first place?

Yes, this does sound paradoxical, but as Matthew says, "describing or
analyzing a particular language is a completely different enterprise
from classifying the language typologically". This point needs to be
more widely recognized.

When a typologist uses comparative concepts such as "ergative
construction", or "serial verb construction", there is a real potential
for confusion, because these labels can also be used for
descriptive/analytical purposes. In fact, the labels of these
comparative concepts were of course borrowed from the descriptive labels.

But there are other cases where there is no such confusion, for example
when someone bases their comparison on parallel texts (as in Bernhard
Wälchli's pioneering work), or on translation questionnaires, as in
Östen Dahl's (1985) book on tense and aspect. In parallel-text typology
and questionnaire-based typology, each text passage or each sentence is
a (lower-level) comparative concept, but nobody would think that
individual sentences should be used as descriptive categories. Still,
most people agree that it is useful to compare languages on the basis of
parallel texts or translation questionnaires.

The broader point is that there is no other way of doing rigorous
typology than via separate comparative concepts, i.e. that we need to
give up the hope that the categories that we find in individual
languages will in the end converge on something universal. This hope is
being pursued in generative linguistics, but not with significant
success, it seems.

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History