[Lingtyp] Structural congruence as a dimension of language complexity/simplicity

David Beck dbeck at ualberta.ca
Wed Jan 20 22:42:22 UTC 2016

Good point (and I hadn’t thought of that). However, homology isn’t necessarily limited to cases of common descent (though it generally works that way in comparative anatomy), viz the Oxford ED

Homology: the state of having the same or similar relation, relative position, or structure: many proteins show homology across their whole length | aregion of homology with another gene.

So one could potentially use structural characteristics of two unrelated languages to argue for a homology. I actually think the fact that it is commonplace to do this in linguistics (even if we don’t descrbie what we do in these terms) in signficant in and of itself. Why can we do it when comparing languages but not so much when comparing anatomies? It might have something to do with constraints on design space of language, or the physical or psycholinguistic limitations of speech/signing (i.e., there are only so many solutions to a given problem and only so many “pieces” in the grammatical tool kit to play with). Seems like something worth looking into.

DAvid