[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Thu Jan 21 01:54:03 UTC 2016

On 1/20/16 6:59 PM, Peter Arkadiev wrote:
> Going back to word order, if we say that a language has prepositions
> we already know something about this language's grammar, moreover, we
> are able to make predictions about what else can be found in this
> language and with what probability, aren't we?

Actually, if we know that a language has prepositions, we can only make
limited predictions about the grammar of the language. If we know that a
language has prepositions, we can predict that it is either a language
whose grammar specifies the word order as VO or a grammar that has no
rule governing the order of verb and object but where the factors
conditioning the choice between OV and VO word order result in more
frequent. But since the latter is not a fact about the grammar, you can
make fewer predictions if you restrict attention to grammar.