[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Fri Jan 22 09:13:15 UTC 2016

Edith has rightly written:”Categorization, by its very concept, does not require that the two things that are lumped together share all of their properties.[...] it does not matter if in many other ways, token of the proposed category are different. Is it the case that even by this minimal criterion, all descriptive categories are strictly language-specific? [...] That there may be some differences is not relevant; the question for categorization is only whether there are at least two properties that remain constant.”
Thus, we come back to the concept of category prototypical examples/items I proposed in my previous contribution to the present discussion : some items belonging to the category VERB may lack some feature that is present in a prototypical verbal form (say, different grams for singular and plural) but share TAM distinctions.  But nobody seems to take account of Wittgenstein’s family resemblance and  the prototype concept in our discussion.
Consequently, this raises again the problem alluded to by Edith:  “what categories EXIST and which are IMPOSED UPON THE DATA by the analyst's specific purposes”  (and I may again refer to my article Linguistic categories and linguists’ categorizations. “Linguistics” 37/1999: 157-80.)

Best
Paolo