[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Mon Jul 4 05:51:30 UTC 2016

I would add "applicative" (apparently first used by Antonio del Rincón
in 1595 with reference to Nahuatl), and "inclusive/exclusive"
(apparently first used by Domingo de Santo Tomás in 1560 with reference
to Quechua).

But I would say that "polysynthesis" and "incorporation" (as noted by
Bernard Comrie) have been the most important influences of the study of
languages of the Americas (the terms go back to Du Ponceau and Wilhelm
von Humboldt, early 19th century). Unfortunately, however, both these
terms have no clear definition in typology, because they rely on the
notion of "word" (see my discussion of "incorporation" here:
https://dlc.hypotheses.org/135). So they may not be as lasting as some
of the others.

Martin

On 03.07.16 23:13, Eva Schultze-Berndt wrote:
> Dear David and all,
>
> My additions would be evidentiality, and lexicalization patterns.
>
> Best,
>
> Eva

> Eva Schultze-Berndt
> Professor of Linguistics
> Linguistics and English Language
> School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
> The University of Manchester
> Oxford Road
> M13 9PL
> Manchester, UK
> E-mail: eva.schultze-berndt at manchester.ac.uk
> Office NG11, Samuel Alexander Building

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University