[Lingtyp] Ethnologue goes for paid access

Dryer, Matthew dryer at buffalo.edu
Tue Jul 5 21:40:12 UTC 2016

Typologists (especially those in Russia),

I have just received an email from Ethnologue telling me that they have changed their criteria (apparently in response to my arguments) for what counts as a high-income country, so that Russia no longer counts as a high-income country, meaning people in Russia can now use Ethnologue without having to pay for it. There may be other countries also affected by this change.

I agree with those who feel that Glottolog is more useful than Ethnologue, but in my experience Glottolog + Ethnologue is better than just Glottolog.

Matthew