[Lingtyp] Question on reduplication for translative sense

Geoffrey Khan gk101 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 12:42:41 UTC 2016

Dear Randy,

In Neo-Aramaic (Semitic) prepositions are repeated to express a
translative sense, e.g.

/reš ṭura/

on mountain

‘on the mountain’

/šawr-əx reša reša danna miya/

jump.prs-1pl. on on this water

‘Let us jump over this water’

/qam čadra do-malka/

before tent of.the king

‘In front of the tent of the king’

/pyað-ele qama-qamət čadra do-malka/

passing-cop.3ms before before tent of.the king

‘He is passing in front of the tent of the king’