[Lingtyp] absolute directionals/terms in Australian languages

Claire Bowern clairebowern at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:43:46 UTC 2016

Hi Dorothea,
Bardi uses a combination of compass and tide-based systems, which is
my absolute favourite 'land-based' system because it reverses every 6
hours. A logical extension of a rive-based system for people who have
no permanent surface fresh water in their environment.
Directions in Bardi also heavily involve placenames. That is, if you
ask where someone/something is, someone might answer 'northward', etc,
but more likely they will give an answer involving a placename.
Direction sequences are also often given in terms of place names. I
discuss this briefly in my Bardi grammar.
Claire