[Lingtyp] Grammatical diversity of Oceania, suggestions for features?

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 02:21:39 UTC 2017

Dear typologists,

What are interesting grammatical typological features for capturing the
diversity of Oceania? I sent this message earlier to the mailing list for
pacific linguistics, but I thought I'd try here as well since I didn't get
any response there yet.

I work with a grammatical survey of the world's languages, Grambank, and
I'm also personally interested in Oceania in particular for my PhD project.
I've been doing some thinking as to what features would be interesting to
cover to more accurately capture the grammatical diversity of Oceania in
particular, besides the feature set that we already have for the
world-sample.

One guide are the features that Reesink, Dunn et al used in their
publications on Sahul and Melanesia (see attachments and references listed
below).  They've taken in input from a lot of previous literature and
commentary, so it's a good set.

Besides those, do you have other suggestions?

>From a rather Samoan-centric perspective, I'd be inclined to add features
like these:

   - Is there a "neutral" choice in attributive possession, i.e. not
   alienable/inalienable, dominant/subordinate?
   - Can the agent be expressed as the possessor of the verb instead of
   encoded in the more canonical ergative/nominative manner?
   - Can TA markers be entirely dropped in main clauses?
   - Is number of absolute arguments expressed by reduplication on the verb?

Clearly these need further refinement, I just wanted to give some examples.
Looking forward to more suggestions!

*Tōfā soifua,**Hedvig Skirgård*