[Lingtyp] "Oceania" and "gender"

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:32:22 UTC 2017

For reference for those who are not familiar with this part of the world, I
thought that a few maps might be handy. I've attached a few from ANU
cartography that outline the limits of Micronesia, Polynesia, Melanesia,
Remote Oceania, Near Oceania, Sahul, Sunda and Wallacea. I hope they might
prove helpful. They're of the public collection, my own and Andy Pawley's.

Also, for further assistance; we've compiled a list at HWRG over popular
repositories of technical terminology in linguistics:
http://humans-who-read-grammars.blogspot.com.au/p/help-linguistics-is-hard.html

Apologies again for being unclear. I've clearly been thinking too much in
my own head and I should have taken greater care before inviting others to
give suggestions. Thank you all for your helpful comments and patience.

My main interest for my PhD lies is Remote Oceania (Santa Cruz, Reef
Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji + Micronesia + Polynesia), but it
would be interesting for such a study to also contain contrastive examples
from Near Oceania cultures and languages. I'm familiar with the work of
Reesink, Dunn et al, and I'm partial to a similar sample of non-AN and AN
languages of Melanesia.

C.f. also the Standard Cross Cultural Sample and their region of "Insular
Pacific":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_cross-cultural_sample#Cultures_in_the_standard_cross-cultural_sample
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_cross-cultural_sample#/media/File:Insular_pacific.jpg

I agree with Martin, clearly we need to be explicit and geographical
delimitations need to be motivated in the context of the research question
and methods.

Thank you all for your time and patience. The suggestions have been helpful
to me in preparing for further discussions with my supervisors and
colleagues.

/Hedvig

*****

*Tōfā soifua,*

*Hedvig Skirgård*

PhD Candidate
The Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific

Rm 4203, H.C. Coombs Building (#9)
The Australian National University

Acton ACT 2601

Australia

Co-chair of Public Relations

Board of the International Olympiad of Linguistics

www.ioling.org

Blogger at Humans Who Read Grammars