[Lingtyp] ALT election and vote results

Good, Jeff jcgood at buffalo.edu
Sat Dec 9 22:11:45 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Voting on the ALT ballot closed early last week. I am pleased to announce that the full slate of nominees for the Executive Committee was overwhelmingly approved by those voting. I hope that you will all welcome the new Executive Committee members, Mark Dingemanse, Rachel Nordlinger, and Ljuba Veselinova in their new roles, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank outgoing Executive Committee members Felix Ameka, Isabelle Bril, and Keren Rice for their service to the Association.

With around 160 total votes, the vote on the proposed Code of Conduct was around 48% in favor and 52% against. Accordingly, that code will not apply at the upcoming ALT meeting in Canberra. Given the debate on this topic on the LINGTYP list, and, in particular the fact that many of those opposed expressed concerns about the specific language of the proposal rather than the idea of ALT adopting some kind of code, the Executive Committee has decided to appoint an ad hoc committee to further explore this topic over the course of the coming year. Further details about the committee selection process will be discussed at the upcoming Business Meeting in Canberra, and these will also be announced on the LINGTYP list after the meeting.

With respect to the upcoming conference, the Executive Committee would like to make attendees aware of the fact that, by virtue of being hosted at The Australia National University, the Code of Conduct adopted there will apply. Information on this Code of Conduct can be found here:
https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion/code-of-conduct

The ALT Executive Committee would also like to affirm its support for the Code of Conduct adopted for the recent Australian Linguistic Society conference, as found here:
http://sydney.edu.au/arts/conference/als_2017/code.shtml

This Code of Conducts is as follows:

------------------
Conference participants will:

• treat fellow participants, students, volunteers, and any other members of the public with respect, dignity, impartiality, courtesy and sensitivity;

• maintain a cooperative and collaborative approach to inter-personal relationships;

• respect the privacy of others;

• ensure that they do not become involved in or encourage discrimination against or harassment of participants, students, volunteers, or any other members of the public.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Canberra in the coming days.

Best,
Jeff Good
President, Association for Linguistic Typology