[Lingtyp] query: possessives and animacy

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Feb 2 12:08:45 UTC 2017

Grev,

Why am I not surprised that you would come through with the perfect
response.  (And I'm gratified to see that this is actually a new and
ongoing project, and not something old hat that I should have known
about already!)

The project description lists two syntactic properties providing
evidence for prominent possessors, verbal agreement and switch-reference
marking.  In the case that I am working on, in Papuan Malay, there are
(at least) two other such properties: availability for promotion to
subject in a periphrastic passive construction, and the actual marking
of the NP itself as animate or inanimate.

Best,

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de