[Lingtyp] query: serial verb constructions

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Jul 3 05:26:55 UTC 2017

Dear typologists,

Is anybody familiar with a language that has serial verb constructions
of the form

(1) A DO/MAKE P VERB.OF.MOTION G

with no additional argument flagging, and where the resulting meaning is
one of those indicated in (a) and (b) below?

(a) 'A gave P to G'
(b) 'A took P from G'

The reason I'm asking:I am reconstructing sentences such as in (1) for
some languages of western New Guinea, as a first stage in a possible
chain of grammaticalization, so I am wondering whether similar
constructions are actually attested in any of the world's languages.
(Seems to me that this is something that might conceivably be found in
Mainland Southeast Asia, West Africa, or Atlantic Creoles.)

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816