[Lingtyp] Kinship systems that distinguish age but not gender

Nick Enfield nick.enfield at sydney.edu.au
Wed Jul 19 10:51:49 UTC 2017

Lao has qaaj4 older brother, qùaj4 older sister and nòòng4 younger sibling.

This system has a neat affordance. When talking to a child whose mother is pregnant, one often wants to refer to the unborn child, the soon-to-arrive younger sibling. The word nòòng4 allows you to leave the sex unspecified, and avoid a disjunction (brother or sister) as is needed in English. This issue does not arise when talking to children about their older siblings because of course the sex is known. This could contribute to a bias towards the typological prediction.

Nick

--
Sent from phone