[Lingtyp] Position of sentential complements

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Thu Jul 20 07:38:06 UTC 2017

There is also some information on the order of complement clauses in the
following paper:

Dryer, Matthew S. 2009. The branching direction theory of word order
correlations revisited. In Sergio Scalise, Elisabetta Magni & Antonietta
Bisetto (eds.), /Universals of language today/, 185–207. Dordrecht:
Springer.

(Section 5, "The position of complementizers", which also includes
information on the position of the complement clause with respect to the
main verb.)

Best,
Martin

On 20.07.17 02:32, Johanna NICHOLS wrote:
> Thanks to those who have recommended this paper:
>
> Karsten Schmidtke-Bode and Holger Diessel, "Cross-linguistic patterns
> in the structure, function, and position of (object) complement
> clauses". Linguistics 2017: 55(1): 1-38
>
> and GramCats.
>
> Johanna
>

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Johanna NICHOLS <johanna at berkeley.edu
> <mailto:johanna at berkeley.edu>> wrote:
>
>     This request is for a colleague who's not on the list.  Does
>     anyone know of recent cross-linguistic work on the positional
>     tendencies of complement clauses?  It's often said that postverbal
>     or sentence-final position is preferred or most frequent,
>     regardless of the order of A, O, and V.  That is what Dryer 1980
>     found, using a survey of 31 languages.  We wonder if there has
>     been a larger survey since then.
>
>     Thanks for any information,
>
>     Johanna Nichols

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University