[Lingtyp] genifiers (gender markers/classifiers)

Bisang, Prof. Dr. Walter wbisang at uni-mainz.de
Tue Mar 21 22:32:39 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I generally have nothing against introducing a new term that covers both gender/noun-class markers and all sorts of (other) classifiers (numeral classifiers, class nouns, possessive classifiers, verbal classifiers, etc. see Sasha's comments) but I would still like to add a few comments after a long and busy day:

On Martin's definition:

>>>A genifier system is a system of grammatical markers which occur on nominal modifiers, predicates or anaphoric pronouns, and each of which expresses (i.e. normally reflects, but sometimes contributes) a broad property other than person and number of the controlling noun (i.e. for nominal modifiers: the modificatum, for predicates: an argument, for anaphoric pronouns: the antecedent).<<<

This definition actually excludes what is called a “noun classifier” by Sasha Aikhenvald. Noun classifiers can occur with the noun alone [CL N] (e.g. in Jacaltec as described by Craig 1986) for marking definiteness. In many Sinitic languages and mainland Southeast Asian languages, bare classifier constructions of the type [CL N] also mark definiteness, indefiniteness or both (cf. Li & Bisang 2012 in Lingua).

Moreover, I think that the new terminology does not really contribute much to the understanding of the phenomenon (or phenomena?) itself (themselves). Even though there is a certain functional overlap between gender and the other classification devices, we don't really have a good understanding of many details of cross-linguistic variation at the borderline between gender/class-noun systems and other classifier systems.

Let me highlight one problem by comparing Thai and Swahili:

(1) Thai:
      rót  [khan yàj]  [khan níi]
      car  CL      big    CL      DEM
      ‘this big car’

(2) Swahili:
      ki-tabu        ki-kubwa      hi-ki
      CL7-book    CL7-big         this-CL7
      ‘this big book’

At first glance, one may want to argue that Thai has agreement like Swahili but there is a big difference. In Thai, the classifier is not obligatory and adds additional grammatical meaning: With stative verbs, it marks contrastive focus and with demonstratives it tends to express singular. This is not the case with the Swahili example. This begs the question of when exactly we can say that a language has gender/noun classes in the traditional sense and when it does have a classifier system.

If one looks at processes of grammaticalization, it is very hard to find examples of a classifier system (in the traditional sense) that has grammaticalized into a gender/noun class system. If one does not want to claim that this is a historical coincidence, gender/noun class systems and other classifier systems may be more different than linguists generally think at the moment. As I have actually argued in Bisang (2002), the reason for this may be that gender/noun class is used as an indicator of syntactic structure to the human parser (agreement), which is not the case with the other classifier systems.
In this context, I would also like to refer to an extremely interisting PhD thesis by Matthias Passer (Passer, Matthias Benjamin. 2016. The Typology and Diachrony of Nominal Classification. PhD dissertation, University of Amsterdam. Published in Utrecht: Netherlands Graduate School in Linguistics (LOT).
Passer (2016) distinguishes two types of criteria for measuring the degree of grammaticalization, i.e. criteria of linguistic form and criteria of semantic transparency. Based on a sample of some 40 languages, he presents good evidence that gender/noun class systems are characterized by a uniformly high degree of morphosyntactic integration on the form side, while their semantic side reaches from high arbitrariness to full transparency. In contrast, the other classifier types are semantically more transparent and they show less formal integration.

So, these are a few ideas late in the evening.

With best wishes,
Walter