[Lingtyp] nominal classification (gender and classifiers)

Alan Rumsey Alan.Rumsey at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 24 20:23:41 UTC 2017

Thanks Eva for this very important point about the difference between ‘class’ and ‘classifier’. I think it poses a problem for the proposed neologism ‘genifier’ because that terms aligns ‘gender’ with ‘classifier’ rather than with ‘class’. As a possible alternative, how about ‘gender class’ (a term that I think has sometimes been used by Australianists)?

Alan