[Lingtyp] nominal classification (gender and classifiers)

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:15:40 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I'd like to support Walter's point (as I understand it). To me, it makes
sense to foreground agreement as the notion to which the definition of
gender (and distringuishing gender, or noun classes, from classifers)
should refer, and to consider rigid assignment as its corollary.

Indeed, consider two properties commonly observed in what typologists
usually call gender. This are (a)  being involved into marking syntactic
cohesion (what Walter meant by "indicator of syntactic units") and rigid
assignment, as opposed to sets of classifiers, sometimes (or even often)
assined on flexible, referent-based grounds. These two properties are
sometimes in contradiction, but they seem to be connected in general in the
following way: Whenever you are an agreement device, you tend to be rigid.

Grev and Sebastian suggest that canonical gender is gender based on rigid
assignment. They make rigid assignment the central part of the definition
of gender. An alternative solution is to say, together with Walter (I
think) that canonical gender is involved in agreement*. Which is best?

As hinted already in Walter's message, we can explain why you need to be
rigid if you are an agreement device. If you are too flexible, you would be
of less help in establishing syntactic units. Being an agreement device
explain why you need to be relatively rigid. The category of the controller
has to be continuously activated through processing of a syntactic unit. To
make it easier, I think it makes all sense to store the gender category of
the controller in the lexicon. Otherwise, to track syntactic relations, you
should store both the contrller noun and its category in the context
(reference-based, non-rigid category). If this is a rigid cateogorization
device, you only have to store the controller noun.

As it often happens, the reality is not always (or never) fully compatible
with our expectations. In Russian, there is a vast class of bi-gender
(human) nouns. In Archi, there are referent (and discourse) based gender
assignment phenomena, the most productive (but still rare) being putting
the same lexical item into Class (Gender) 3 or Class 4 depending on the
size of the referent. Still, on the whole, gender assignment is rigid, and
gender serves as a good device for agreement as syntactic relations
tracking device. Both languages are considered to be typical gender
languages. Incidentally, both exibit quite rich and complex system of
agreement.

Looing at it from the opposite persoective, I see no way to explain why
rigid assignment should entail agreement.

I am unaware of any language that has a reference-based (ovrewhelmingly
non-rigid) noun categorization device used for what is an obvious
typological instance of agreement. If you are aware of such example, it
would be interesting to know more about it. On the other hand, Walter's
message indicates that there are consistently rigid systems that are not
used for agreement - his Thai example.

I know much less about classifiers - I never worked on a classifier
language. I agree that the mere number of categories should not be a
criterion. Classification of classifier systems into more and less rigid
(as entailed from the approach in Walter's message and above) is absolutely
necessary; this seems to be an important parameter of variation in what I
would call classifier systems. But, unlike the case of gender, the
orientedness towards referents rather than nouns does not seem to be
motivated by whatever I know (second-hand) about the function of numeral or
possessive classifiers. On the other hand, as explained above, I think
that, in defining gender, it makes all sense to refer to involvement in
agreement as the main property and rigid assignment as its corollary.

Finally, Martin indicated that the non-rigidness of gender in pronouns
remains unexplained in rigid vs. flexible approch to the distinction
between gender and classifier systems. This is one point in which approach
to gender as outlined by Grev and Sebastian seems to fail
cross-linguistically and in a rather consistent way. Eva explicitly but
arbitrarily excluded pronouns from her statement. Why should personal
pronoun be treated differentle in so many languages? I think, very
tentatively, that this is connected to their indexality. The presence of
the speaker and the addressee themselves support agreement category
tracking. This is why the strong requirement of the rigid assignment,
motivated by the needs of syntactic mechanisms of agreement, is very
typically relaxed with first and second person pronouns. But this is
probably a very vague consideration, with further (probably experimental?)
support required.

What I said above suggests that we know what agreement is. Probably, there
will be few typologists who would fully agree on the definition of
agreement in every detail, and even fewer would agree on treatment of
specific (marginal) cases. But this is a very common situation in typology
- a fuzzy definition is based on another hotly debated notion. Still, as
agreement is a phenomenon more general than gender. You can agree not only
in gender but also in other categories. So it does not seems circular to
put the discussion about agreement outside the discussion of what gender
is, and to refer back to it from the discussion of gender. At least, this
is a theoretically feasible approach.

Incidentally, Grev and Sebastian's approach needs to establish some kind of
treshold in terms of rigid / flexible opposition - you cross it and you are
closer to classifier system. I think it will have all kinds of problems.
Dear Grev and Sebastian, you mentioned ongoing research - I'd love to have
a look.

Michael Daniel