[Lingtyp] nominal classification (gender and classifiers)

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Mar 31 20:22:36 UTC 2017

The Movima system is surely a gender system, not only according to my
definition, but also according to Corbett's (1991) definition.

It is gender according to my definition because it does not rely on a
notion of asymmetric "agreement". Recall that I said that a genifier
system is a system of markers which occur on nominal modifiers, on
predicates or on anaphoric pronouns, and each of which *reflects or
contributes* a property other than person or number. (And a gender
system is a genifier system that is not restricted to numeral modifiers
and has at most 20 members.)

It is gender according to Corbett's older definition because it is used
on anaphoric pronouns (where it seems to work much like English
he/she/it, which Corbett regards as gender forms).

(The same goes for Roon, the Austronesian language mentioned by David Gil.)

Misha Daniel proposes to base the definition of gender on "agreement",
but he provides no definition of agreement. Stereotypically (and
"canonically"), agreement reflects properties of a noun, but what do we
do if a marker contributes information to a noun, and if this happens
commonly? The notion of "agreement" does not seem to help here.
Moreover, people often seem to think that numeral classifiers are
evidently not agreement markers, but as Walter Bisang pointed out,
Thai-style numeral classifiers are not that different from stereotypical
agreement, and neither are Kilivila classifiers (as noted by Grev
Corbett and Sebastian Fedden).

Best,
Martin

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University