[Lingtyp] [2nd Call for papers] Workshop on Questionnaires for linguistic description and typology- 9-10 nov.2017

Alice Vittrant- Villejuif vittrant at vjf.cnrs.fr
Wed May 31 12:32:02 UTC 2017

2nd Call for papers
Submission deadline: 23rd June 2017

Workshop on Questionnaires for linguistic description and typology
9 and 10 November 2017, Paris Diderot University, Paris, France

The CNRS Research Federation on Typology and Linguistic Universals (TUL <http://www.typologie.cnrs.fr/?lang=en>) is the sponsor for a collaborative research project on questionnaires for linguistics.  For the purposes of the project, we take questionnaire as a general term to cover any kind of stimulus (including word lists, visual stimuli, as well as descriptive templates, field manuals and the like) designed to elicit linguistic expressions. The main goals of the project are to collect questionnaires used for language description and typology, to make them available to interested researchers via a website <http://tulquest.huma-num.fr/>, and to study them from a historical and epistemological perspective.
We are organizing a workshop in Paris on November 9th and 10th 2017, during which we will bring together users and designers of linguistic questionnaires in order to delve further into the following questions:

What are the actual conditions and limitations of questionnaire use?
What types of questionnaires are currently being developed?
What changes can be detected over time in questionnaire-development methodology?
What kinds of differences can be found in questionnaire development across different linguistic areas?
What best practices can be established in questionnaire design?

We welcome case studies on the use and/or development of specific questionnaires or types of questionnaires, as well as papers dealing with the non-static nature of questionnaires and their re-adaptation for different field situations.  Another question of interest is the relationship between language description/documentation and linguistic typology as pertains to questionnaires.

Invited speakers
Birgit Hellwig, University of Cologne
Lila San Roque, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen

Important dates
Submission deadline: 23rd June 2017
Notification of acceptance: 21st July 2017

Send abstracts (1 page maximum) to aimee.lahaussois at linguist.univ-paris-diderot.fr in two versions: one anonymized, and another including full name, institutional affiliation and contact information.

Website for TULQuest project: http://tulquest.huma-num.fr/

Scientific committee :
Natacha Chevrier (University of Lyon II)
Mena Lafkioui (CNRS, LLACAN)
Aimée Lahaussois (CNRS, HTL)
Sylvain Loiseau (University of Paris 13)
Stéphane Robert (CNRS, LLACAN)
Alice Vittrant (University of Aix-Marseille)
Sylvie Voisin (University of Aix-Marseille)
Marine Vuillermet (University of Lyon II)