[Lingtyp] wordhood: responses to Haspelmath

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sat Nov 11 18:38:30 UTC 2017

Contrary to Östen (below), I am not quite ready to concede to Martin the
impossibility of defining a comparative concept of "word" that will
enable typologists to distinguish between isolating and polysynthetic
languages (as well as various intermediate types).  I am currently
working on a paper that will provide such a definition.  An extended
abstract of the paper is attached here.

David