[Lingtyp] wordhood

William Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:03:47 UTC 2017

I try to ban the word “abstract” from my student’s essays. It is unhelpfully polysemous. In the recent discussions here, it seems to be used in at least three ways -- though I think there is a family resemblance.

The first is Martin’s immediately below: a concept defined in terms without a straightforward connection to phonetic or semantic substance. This is a rather specialized use of “abstract”, albeit relevant to the current discussion.

The second is roughly synonymous with “schematic” (as the cognitive linguists and some others use that term), i.e. a more general concept, i.e. one with fixed intension but broader extension. In my interpretation of David’s recent post, he is suggesting that a seemingly disjunctive description actually can be interpreted as a more schematic description that subsumes the phenomena initially described by a disjunctive definition. If so, then the relevant definition is no longer disjunctive. And it is of course true that definitions based directly on phonetic or semantic substance may be highly schematic.

The third seems synonymous with an essentialist category, with an essence that is only inferrable indirectly from the accessible accidents (in the philosophical sense). This use is the use I interpreted in some earlier posts, particularly Dan’s that I responded to.

The family resemblance is this. Highly schematic definitions often end up being vague and either too broad or difficult to apply consistently in particular cases -- so people could differ radically in how they apply it to specific linguistic cases, and there would not be much hope in adjudicating such disputes. Concepts defined without a straightforward connection to phonetic or semantic substance would also be hard to apply consistently and consensually (at least outside the core members of the formal syntactic community). And essentialist concepts are also hard to apply consistently and consensually.

Apologies for going back into the stratosphere with this post,
Bill