[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Isabelle BRIL isabelle.bril at cnrs.fr
Mon Nov 20 20:19:59 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues

Though Martin's, David's and Peter's arguments (about who has the
authority to "find conference participants in violation",
and how participants could defend themselves if wrongly accused) are
indeed compelling,
I find myself in complete agreement with Kristine's couter-arguments and
support the idea of refining and delimiting the definition of harassment,
rather than stay out.

Regards

Isabelle

Le 20/11/2017 à 19:02, Kristine Hildebrandt a écrit :
> I respectfully disagree with Martin, although his comments (and
> David's) regarding unclarity do resonate with me. And this response
> comes from me personally, as an ALT member, and not as an Officer.
>
> As an employee of a U.S./North American university, I'm obliged to go
> through mandatory annual trainings and periodic refreshers on what
> constitutes harassment/assault (sexual or other), how to "not do it",
> how to spot it when it might be happening to me/a colleague/a student,
> and what to do about that if I do suspect it (as a faculty member in
> the U.S. I'm actually under a legal obligation to /not/ do /nothing/).
> I've found that there are so many definitions (often constructed as
> examples), so many nuances, so many lines that may or may not be
> crossed, that the whole experience can be somewhat dizzying and
> mind-numbing. But: I also feel from a woman's perspective, and this
> moves me beyond U.S. bounds--and I've also lived and worked in enough
> places now to be able to say this--that this very vagueness in *just
> what harassment is*, and the resulting back-stepping from dealing with
> it (even via symbolic language), is one reason why
> harassment/assault/discriminatory and predatory practice has managed
> to go on for so long and perpetuate, evolve, and expand in such
> insidious ways. As if to say: "If we can't pinpoint it, we can't deal
> with it". That's unacceptable to me.
> I do also (again respectfully) disagree somewhat with David's
> observation that "most of us are good people who sometimes make
> mistakes...a few are rotten apples". I engage in no finger pointing,
> here. In my own personal encounters as a professional, I've only ever
> encountered the good people. But my world of professional interaction
> is only a very small subset, and I've heard enough accounts from other
> reliable colleagues from many backgrounds to know that they could have
> benefited from the presence of such codes, even if largely symbolic in
> power. It matters. I have been pleased to see codes of conduct slowly
> making their appearance in other Associations, even if their language
> does raise discussion about interpretation and application.
> The challenge of vague terminology and cross-cultural variations in
> interpretations should not prevent this code from becoming a part of
> the ALT statues. Vagueness in terms of consequences, for example, can
> easily be fleshed out by the organizing committees and institutions
> putting together the meeting. In the U.S. we can turn to the policies
> held at the university level for guidance, for example.
> **
> *I recommend a 'yes' vote.* If a 'no' vote does prevail, then I hope
> it is simply because the language here needs refinement and people are
> open to that process. I do urge ALT members *not* to simply assume
> that this Association (or any other) gets to 'opt out' of this issue,
> so I would welcome some discussion on this towards crafting revised
> [...]

Isabelle Bril
Directeur de recherches (LACITO-CNRS)
Directeur d'Etudes à l'EPHE (Typologie et Typologie des langues austronésiennes)

Directrice de la fédération de recherches Typologie et Universaux des Langues (FR2559 CNRS)
http://www.typologie.cnrs.fr/

Ecole de typologie ESSLT 2016
https://typoling2016.sciencesconf.org/