[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Tue Nov 21 22:28:35 UTC 2017

"I'm all for doing X, so long as you do impossible thing Y, and also take
off the table option Z
[which is commonly used in solutions to X in other societies]."

Emily

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Giorgio Francesco Arcodia <
giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it> wrote:

> Martin's message, which continues with (my emphasis):
>
> "*I'm all for addressing the problem of harrassment, *but only if it
> clear what exactly consitutes harrassment, and if there is no threat of
> expelling participants from ALT conferences. (*Or if there is such a
> threat, then there should be a due process, as we're used to in free
> societies, rather than an arbitrary decision by some unspecified authority.*)
> *Maybe there should be a larger discussion at the ALT conference, or on
> the LINGTYP List.*"
>
> Giorgio

>> Dear all,
>>
>> Speaking as something of an outsider, I would say that there have
>> definitely been contributions to this discussion that suggest that, even if
>> everyone here agrees that harassment is bad, not everyone agrees that
>> harassment is actually a problem in academia in general, or that it is not
>> a problem worth addressing.
>>
>> For example, from Martin's message at the top of the thread:
>>
>> "I am aware that in Anglo-American culture, such codes of conduct are
>> more and more widespread, but there are big cultural differences. In most
>> parts of the world, precarious employment and restrictions on travel are
>> much more urgent problems that are worth thinking about. I suggest that
>> ALT's EC consider also other options to make people feel welcome at ALT
>> conferences, e.g. to increase the participation fees for participants from
>> rich countries substantially, in order to alleviate the outrageous
>> obstacles to conference participation that many (potential) ALT members
>> face."
>>
>> Emily
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm <tamm at ling.su.se
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just a moment: was there anyone who said anything about being
>>> unsupportive of people from diverse backgrounds and communities? I thought
>>> this is exactly what has been pointed out in the discussion – the members
>>> of this list have very different background, we work with different
>>> languages and cultures and should therefore be aware of the differences in
>>> people’s understanding of what is appropriate, inappropriate and all that.
>>>
>>> I don’t think people should judge the climate in the academic world the
>>> ALT represents by the email discussions on the list. These are miles away
>>> from both the conferences and from our normal activities and communication.
>>> As everyone on this list knows, most of the members hardly ever post
>>> anything on it, which does not mean that they lack any opinions -– either
>>> on a particular issue or in general. It’s not their cup of tea.
>>>
>>> It’s not mine either by the way – even though I count myself to very
>>> active representatives of the field.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Masha
>>>

>>> Prof. Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
>>> Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm university, 106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
>>> tel.: +46-8-16 26 20 <+46%208%2016%2026%2020> (office)