[Lingtyp] interrogative verbal paradigms

Peter Arkadiev peterarkadiev at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 15 08:49:41 UTC 2017

Dear Dmitry,

many thanks, this is very helpful! I will have a close look at your work.
When I said that Abaza and Abkhaz lack genuine interrogative words I meant interrogative word based on interrogative roots. Perhaps I am naive, since I have never worked closely on interrogative constructions before, but in all languages I know interrogative words, even if morphologically complex, are based on roots with interrogative meaning. In Abaza and Abkhaz, in contrast to the other NW Caucasian languages, there don't seem to be any such roots. In order to form a content question you need to embed whatever lexical root into an appropriate interrogative morphological pattern. True, if you consult a dictionary or a traditional grammar, you will find words for "who" and "what", but on closer inspection they turn out to be regular interrogative forms based on semantically general roots such as "possession". The only minor exception to this pattern in one of the words for "who" which has undergone some phonological erosion, but it still carries its regular origin on its sleeves in quite a transparent way.

Many thanks again and best regards,

Peter

--
Peter Arkadiev, PhD