[Lingtyp] tone alone marking plural nouns?

Hilary Chappell hmchappell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 03:31:55 UTC 2017

Tone sandhi to code plurality is possible in a variety of Sinitic
languages including the Xiang group (Hunan) and Pinghua (Guangxi) but
for the person pronominal systems only .
It does not extend to nouns.
Let me know if you would like some examples of this;
Sincerely,
Hilary Chappell

> Hi all,
>

> Starting with some research on marking tone in African orthographies, I’ve
> come across 37 languages that mark the singular and plural distinction of
> at least some of their nouns solely by tone. Interestingly, in about 2/3 of mina
> these so far, the plural has some sort of higher tone than the singular.
>

> I’m looking for other examples of the same thing, particularly non-African.
> Wayne Leman sent me some Cheyenne examples. In Cheyenne, there seems no
> consistent pattern of either raising or lowering the tone of the plural –
> it’s all over the place.
>

> I’m hoping some of you know of other languages that do this kind of thing.
> Of course, I’m not averse to hearing about African languages – it may be
> quite possible you know of a language I don’t have on my list yet. Please
> copy me directly (mike_cahill at sil.org) as well as the list!
>

> Mike Cahill

> Dr. Michael Cahill
>
> Orthography Services Coordinator, SIL International
>
> 7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
>
> Dallas, TX 75236
>
> USA
>
> email: mike_cahill at sil.org
>
> phone: 972-708-7632

Hilary Chappell  曹茜蕾
Directrice d'Etudes en typologie linguistique de l'Asie orientale /Chair
Professor in Linguistic Typology of East Asia
Centre de recherches linguistiques sur l'Asie orientale (CRLAO), Ecole des
Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS)

Member of the Academia Europaea
Affiliated professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Affiliate member, ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language,
Australian National University

Site web:http://crlao.eh <http://crlao.ehess.fr/index.php?112>
ess.fr/index.php?112 <http://crlao.ehess.fr/index.php?112>
*Bureau:* CRLAO/INALCO