[Lingtyp] A request to participate in a multinational project in social psychology

Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm tamm at ling.su.se
Tue Apr 3 16:07:25 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I am forwarding a request from my colleague and collaborator, Hans IJzerman, a social psychologist at Université Grenoble Alpes (http://www.hansijzerman.org).
He is looking for participants in a very interesting and relevant project, which provides a great opportunity to involve and give recognition to researchers from many countries.

Best regards,
Masha Koptjevskaja Tamm

Dear colleagues,

We are seeking collaborators to join a large multinational project. For this project, all contributing collaborators who collect data from at least 100 participants will earn authorship on any resulting publication. We are developing a scale and would like to test its generalizability across a diverse array of cultures and settings. To this end, we are looking for collaborators who can administer the scale locally, particularly in non-US and non-European samples.

The scale is the Social Thermoregulation and Risk Avoidance Questionnaire (STRAQ). Our research (in Western samples) has indicated that temperature regulation plays an important role in interpersonal relationships. Because of this, we have started to investigate whether there are reliable individual differences in the desire to regulate temperature with others (and the perception that others will be there to help). We have also started expanding this to the tendency to distribute risk and to share food. It has shown promise so far, but an important next step is to investigate whether and how this works similarly across different cultures.

We are now planning to do further testing. The questionnaire would be bundled with other questions in a single computer program that would take <30 minutes to administer. This would be provided to you ready-to-use, via an online link, pencil-and-paper, or offline-ready app depending on what is most appropriate for the people you work with. In your sample, we would likely need your expertise as well in adapting and/or translating materials (according to a ready protocol). We will also be proposing this project to the Psychological Science Accelerator<https://psysciacc.wordpress.com/> as what psychologists have called a “registered report<https://cos.io/rr/>”, to expand the breadth of data collection.

We anticipate the time investment will be modest for collaborators.

Our provisional timeline:
-May 15th: Propose our report to the Psych Science Accelerator
-Mid to late 2018: Begin data collection, giving labs at least 4 months from the start-date to finish data collection.
-Data analysis/write-up: Early to mid 2019
-Submission: Mid to late 2019

Please e-mail Rick Klein (raklein22 at gmail.com)<mailto:raklein22 at gmail.com)> to get involved, or with any questions.