[Lingtyp] Article Poss N cooccurrence and person splits?

Broadwell,George Aaron broadwell at ufl.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:55:25 UTC 2018

Typologists:

We know that in some languages the pronominal possessor ('my, your', etc.) is in complementary distribution with the article ('the', 'a'). So English is *the my book.

In other languages the article and pronominal possessor can cooccur, e.g. Italian la mia automobile '(the) my car'.

Does anyone know a language where Art + Poss is normal for the 3rd person possessor ('the his book'), but ungrammatical for other persons? (I.e. *the your book, *the my book vs. OK the his book).

I seem to have found this pattern in Timucua, but I would appreciate references to any other language with this pattern:

atichicolo-mi-ma  'his heart'  (rarely atichicolo-mi, without the definite suffix)

heart-3Poss-def

atichicolo-ye  'your heart'  (unattested atichicolo-ye-ma)

heart-2Poss

atichicolo-na 'my heart'  (unattested atichicolo-na-ma)

heart-1Poss

Thanks,

Aaron Broadwell

George Aaron Broadwell, broadwell at ufl.edu<mailto:broadwell at ufl.edu>
Elling Eide Professor | University Term Professor (2018-2021)
Dept. of Anthropology, University of Florida
Turlington Hall, Room B364
PO Box 117305 Gainesville, FL 32611
352-294-7598
Copala Triqui dictionary: http://copalatriqui.webonary.org/