[Lingtyp] Co-expression of future and past

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Dec 12 20:39:04 UTC 2018

On 13/12/2018 04:15, Hartmut Haberland wrote:

> On the other hand, German ’einst’ which can either mean ’a very long
> time ago’ or ‘in the very remote future’.

Hebrew has a similar construction with /paʕam/ 'time' (as in 'This time
he lost', not 'He has lots of time'), which can also mean either 'a long
time ago' or 'in the distant future'.  I imagine this is a calque on
either German or some other central European language.

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816