[Lingtyp] query: verbal diminutives

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 22:45:53 UTC 2018

I was on the verge of mentioning reduplication (in an Austronesian context)
when Chao beat me to it.
Many languages of Indonesia, especially Austronesian ones, use productive
reduplication of either a verb stem or an inflected verb to indicate a
diminutive-like sense (amongst other functions, including ones opposite to
).

Examples include jalan 'road, path, walk' and jalan-jalan 'go for a stroll'
(Indonesian); 'onu 'swim' and 'onu'onu 'splash about in play in shallow
water' (Tukang Besi).

I think this is a more widespread pattern in Austronesian languages
(half-remembered perusing of grammars rising up in my head), but I can't
speak from personal witness/experience.

-Mark