[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Denis CREISSELS denis.creissels at univ-lyon2.fr
Fri Dec 21 16:31:58 UTC 2018

Caucasian languages are a case in point. Cf. for example Akhvakh (Nakh-Daghestanian, Andic):

di-ƛa čaka b-it’aχ-ari

1SG-DAT very N-succeed-PFV

‘I was very lucky’

(possible reference: Creissels, Denis. 2017. Transitivity and valency in Northern Akhvakh. Lingvisticæ Investigationes 40:1, 82–117 – the example above (taken from Magomedova & Abdulaeva’s Akhvakh-Russian dictionary) is not quoted in this paper, but in section 2.3.2, p. 95, there is a list of verbs with the coding frame in question, among which b-it’aχ-uruƛa)

Denis Creissels