[Lingtyp] Inventories of roots vs. derivational devices

Giorgio Francesco Arcodia giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it
Mon Feb 26 15:13:33 UTC 2018

Dear colleague,

The first reference that comes to mind it Thurgood & LaPolla's Handbook of
Sino-Tibetan Languages (2nd edition). You may find lots of examples of
complex root paradigms and rich derivation in some Tibeto-Burman languages,
especially Rgyalrongic, Kiranti and the languages of Northeast India.

Some more works on this:

Jacques, G. (2015). Derivational verbal morphology in Khaling. *Bulletin of
Chinese Linguistics, 8*, 78-85.

Jacques, G., A. Lahaussois & D. Bahadur Rai (2016). Reflexive paradigms in
Khaling. *Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman area, 39*(1), 33-48. DOI:
10.1075/ltba.39.1.02jac

Jacques, G., A. Lahaussois, B. Michailovsky & D. Bahadur Rai (2012). *An
overview of Khaling verbal morphology*. *Language and linguistics, 13*(6),
1095-1170.

Post, M. (2007). *A Grammar of Galo.* La Trobe University, PhD dissertation.

Sun, J. T.-S. (2000b). Stem alternations in Puxi verb inflection*. Language
and Linguistics* *1*(2), 211-232.

Sun, J. T.-S. (2004). Verb-stem variations in Showu rGyalrong. In Y.-C.
Lin, F.-M. Hsu, C.-C. Lee, J. T.-S. Sun, H.-F. yang & D.-A. Ho (Eds.), *Studies
on Sino-Tibetan Languages: Papers in Honor of Professor Hwang-Cherng Gong
on His Seventieth Birthday *(pp. 269-296). Taipei: Institute of
Linguistics, Academia Sinica.

All the very best,

Giorgio F. Arcodia

> Dear all,
> for a handbook chapter I am currently working on I would like to give a
> few examples of how languages can vary in the sheer number of roots vs.
> derivational devices they have at their disposal. Can anyone point me to
> good sources alt. help me with relevant examples?
>
> Many thanks and all the best,
> Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
>

> Prof. Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
> Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm university, 106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
> tel.: +46-8-16 26 20 (office)
> www.ling.su.se/tamm
> tamm at ling.su.se

Prof. Dr. Giorgio Francesco Arcodia
馬振國博士 副教授
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
米蘭比克卡大學
Dipartimento di Scienze Umane per la Formazione
教育學系
Edificio U6 - stanza 4101
六號樓 4101室
Piazza dell'Ateneo Nuovo, 1
20126 Milano  意大利 米蘭

Tel.: (+39) 02 6448 4946(+39) 02 6448 4946
Fax: (+39) 02 6448 4863
E-mail: giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it
Website: http://www.bilgroup.it/it/info/giorgio-francesco-arcodia/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bicoccalanguage